Wednesday, June 8, 2011

one more reason to love reese witherspoon


From Cruel Intentions & Walk the Line, to Legally Blonde & Sweet Home Alabama, I am a huge Reese Witherspoon fan. I think she brings a sweet, fresh presence to all the roles she takes on, and, as I am from Louisiana, I acknowledge and appreciate her southern charm.

So, as I sat and watched the MTV Movie Awards Sunday night with Kara, I was thrilled to see her being presented with the Generation Award.

But what she said in her acceptance speech is what really impressed me. Instead of a hastily stammered, thankyoutoallmyfans..ohyeahandmyfamilyandallthoseotherpeoplewhohelpedmegethere,
she delivered a loud and clear message of what I like to call 'class.'

I just want to say to all the girls out there, I know it's cool to be bad. I get it ... but it's also possible to make it in Hollywood without a reality show. When I came up in this business, if you made a sex tape, you were embarrassed, you hid it under your bed ... and, like, if you took naked pictures of yourself on your cell phone, you hide your face, people!

Now, I enjoy an episode of Keeping Up With The Kardashians just as much as the next person, but that doesn't mean I can't admire the strength of Reese's message. Especially in a time when things like this are happening. It seems that classy role models are a bit of a commodity in Hollywood these days - a sentiment that is magnified for me when standing in the grocery line, staring at the raunchy tabloid headlines.

In this time of seemingly national shamelessness, I find Reese's message to be inspiring, refreshing, and once again, full of class.

And, on a completely unrelated note, Kara and I are pretty psyched about Teen Wolf, as we were avid viewers of Big Wolf On Campus.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Well said. I just love her!