Saturday, June 11, 2011

the mimosas that weren't.

Let me preface this by saying that my mother & I are not big drinkers. For as long as I can remember, we have always had a bottle of wine in our house, to be sipped on occasionally throughout the year. And well, ever since I've returned home after graduating college, my drinking habits have steadily declined.

That being said, one weekend, my parents and I had decided to go out for an early afternoon on our boat. We popped into Brookshires beforehand, in order to get supplies, snacks, and what we thought were to be mimosas.

They weren't.

They were orange juice. In a jug. With a label that said 'mimosas.'

We didn't know that, of course, until we were miles away, lazing on a body of water. We cracked open the jug, poured ourselves a generous glass each, and sat back to enjoy it.

Imagine our surprise when we realized we were gulping straight up orange juice. When we happened upon this discovery, we laughed endlessly, pretending to be getting wasted off of 'mimosas.' We struck poses of the kind you see in Facebook albums from 'the night before,' we 'cheersed' with our 'red cups,' and did all the other requisite drinking activities. I'm certain my dad was mildly horrified.

I'd like to close this little anecdote with a message for my local grocery store.

When you market something as a particular thing, please ensure that it is that particular thing. Persons frequenting your shop will not know that in order to achieve what you have claimed to be selling, they will have to add a key element.

Thanks.

No comments: